Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Module VII: Manbearpig


Module VII: The Elusive Manbearpig

Explain:

During this module I really enjoyed learning about how stars create elements and astronomers are finding exo-planets surrounding other stars. Also, the ruffled sea slug is amazing what a sweet way to always have energy! Culturally, I thought it was very cool how the natives are documenting the changing landscape around them and are adapting to it.

After reading other folks’ blog I was surprised again at the level of alarm about immediate threats of global warming. All of this fire, brimstone and oceans flooding reminded me of an elusive animal called…Manbearpig.





If you haven’t seen it already here is the South Park satirical exposition of the global warming issue.  South Park: Manbearpig


***Warning*** This is South Park folks - ergo, NOT family friendly.
Watch at your own risk.


Extend:

Unfortunately, I cannot imagine using any of the material in the mod for use in my History and Geography classes. I found discussions about microbes in permafrost interesting and I was further educated my Matt Hunter’s blog about how plants can offset CO2 emission from these microbes but only to an extent.

Evaluate:

The usefulness and relevance of this module for my classroom isn’t much, but I did find the information about the creation of elements informative. Also, the acidification of the oceans is a very geographically and culturally significant one.

Based on previous and current material in this course, stating that I don’t believe man-made global warming isn’t settled science certainly won’t get me much love in this forum, but I am plenty used to it.  I think it’s important to keep a critical eye out about everything and test its truth. Folks who gad about stumping for global warming on their private jets and scientists claiming that consensus offers proof of a theory both appear quite ridiculous (as this post might to you).  Actions like these do little to convince common folks that global warming begs radical changes to their lives.

Comments on Colleagues’ Posts:

1. I found it rather interesting that Tracy thought a good solution to the Earth’s problems was for folks in Haiti to stop breeding.

2. I lauded Konrad for his critical look at discharge of CO2 from permafrost microbes.

3. Finally I was surprised at Eric’s alarmism.  

No comments:

Post a Comment