Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Where I come from...

My name is Jesse Bjorkman I teach history and geography in Nikiski, AK. I was born in Iron Mountain, MI and was raised in the town Kingsford right next door.

The well known Kingsford Charcoal Briquettes  were born in my home town of Kingsford under the original label of Ford Charcoal Briquettes in the 1920s. The BBQ fuel was made from bi-products of the Ford factory there. The home I grew up in was originally built as a part of the "Ford Addition" in Kingsford that housed workers and management of the Ford plant there.

Edward Kingsford, Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, and Harvey Firestone were all friends and frequented the Kingsford area. The picture I included immediately below was taken in the summer of 1923 as these men vacationed in Dickinson County.


Left to right: Harvey Firestone, Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, Edward G. Kingsford



I graduated from Michigan State University in 2007 with a degree in Inter-Disciplinary Social Science. Following that I completed my student teaching in Lansing and St Johns Michigan. During college I worked as a meat cutter, custodian, lumber truck driver, crane operator at a paper mill, and at an archery shop. After completing my internship I was hired by the Kenai Peninsula Borough School District as a middle school Social Studies and P.E. teacher at Nikiski Middle/High School.

I work with a great group of people on the “North Road”. Fortunately, we all share many outdoor interests and a love for kids. I could not have found a better place to work than Nikiski!

2 comments:

  1. Did you watch Michigan State beat Northwestern earlier today? It was a good game, especially since the Spartans won. I have a student teacher this year from Marinette WI whose fiance is from Nauganee MI - small world, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is a small world after all :)

    MSU made that game a lot closer than it needed to be...they have a lot to clean up, but it was exciting.

    How does a student teacher from Marinette wind up in AK? I have quite a few relative who live there.

    ReplyDelete